10.31.2004

I should add regarding yesterday's post that I happen to be living in the least politically cool province and that our current and most likely future premier only likes "normal" people.

This Halloween...what can I say? It is normally my favourite holiday and yet it the word for it this year is "shite". I went out on Saturday and had a reasonably good time, but then spent an hour and a half waiting for a cab in the cold in a schoolgirl outfit (a coat doesn't completely make up for bare legs and minimini skirt). There were more than 100 people lined up on Jasper trying to catch a cab and it just made me long for Europe where the gov'ts are actually intelligent enough to install 24 hour transit. I haven't been so angry for a long time as I, and many others, were without any means to get off the street. Is it so unreasonable to expect that a girl working three jobs and with cash in her pocket should have means to get herself home on a cold night? Honestly I was considering getting a hotel room for the evening and heading home in the morning. I finally jumped in front of a cab in the middle of an intersection and, by nearly killing myself in this fashion, managed to procure a ride home. I was exhausted and sick by the time I got home, but I shudder to think how long the less foolhardy on Jasper had to wait.

I spent the rest of the weekend marking 90 midterms (short answer and essay questions). 'Nuff said.

But, not to despair, I did check out a cafe near my place that I've always merely walked past thinking "not my scene" and discovered today, as my Halloween surprise, that is indeed my scene. Methinks I shall become a regular. And, and this is the really good part, on Friday I was invited to be a bridesmaid at my sweet cherubs' wedding!!!! First of all, I have never been more honoured. Despite the fact that they are "settling down," if anyone can continue partying and exploring life after marriage, it's those two. Finally I will have an excuse to go to Scotland (having been named an honourary Scot, I figure it's only right that I actually go to the country) and check out the land where supposedly the vertically stumpy and follically dark girls are revered and lusted after. Rumours of that lust better not have been exaggerated is all I can say.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, sorry you had a bad Hallowe'en cab experience.. I thought we had trouble getting a cab at 3:30 from the south side (busy busy busy, on hold forever) but that's nothing compared to waiting out in the cold night!

As for the reverence and lust for vertically stumpy and follically dark girls.. you're just in the cowboy-girl part of Canada.. there are other regions where such qualities are more generally desired, such as the Maritimes. Lots of Scots, perhaps!

John

10:02 a.m.  
Blogger Her Highnessness said...

Huge congrats to David and Marie. I imagine that will be a riotusly fun wedding, and you'll undoubtedly be a smashing bridesmaid!

2:16 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home