10.03.2004

Hello all,

Well I am now a Telus whore, their internet deal was too good to pass up. Congratulations Asylus, another one joins the ranks you big pimp.

I got to meet about 400 students from rural AB at the senate sponsored weekend. It was a joy to see, even though I had to be at uni at 7:45 on a Saturday morning to volunteer for this. And I was proud to have started the snickering when the chancellor made his speech to the students over breakfast saying "you have to do what turns you on." :)

Ah the poor old folks and their lack of info about new colloquialisms. I will always remember the day last year when my dad told a group of people that he had blown his wad at the grocery store that day. Me being me, I didn't do the nice thing and pull him aside and gently explain that this expression had changed meanings since "his day." No no, I started laughing my ass off in front of his younger coworkers, who then also started giggling, and proceeded to explain that my dad was a dinosaur who had meant to say that he had spent all his money at the grocery store and not that he had ejaculated while looking at the melons.

But I had a similar experience when I was joking about the little neck things we had to wear as volunteers at the senate thing. I was calling them "bling" and a few kids looked kind of confused and one of the other volunteers said to me "do they know what bling is?" and I realised that Public Enemy and the fabulous Chuck D were probably not on their listening lists anymore. And you can't mention Ferris Bueller as a reference in first year university classes anymore because the kids these days have no idea what you're talking about.

I am crossing over into dinosaurland and am pretty damn happy to be doing it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I keep you as a pet? You can entertain me with funny stories all day and I'll give you all the cuddles and love you can handle. Pretty please. The story about your dad is too cute. I read it twice and laughed just as hard the second time.

hugs,
leah

2:58 a.m.  
Blogger tania said...

aw thanks leahbear. if you want to pay me to be your pet, or at least give me food and shelter, I'm there!

10:02 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home