8.09.2003

"It will be said that, while a little leisure is pleasant, men would not know how to fill their days if they had only four hours of work out of the twenty-four. In so far as this is true of the modern world, it is a condemnation of our society; it would not have been true at any earlier period. There was formerly a capacity for light-heartedness and play which has been to some extent inhibited by the cult of efficiency. The modern man thinks that everything ought to be done for the sake of something else, and never for its own sake."
-Betrand Russell

Oh how I do love Grasshopper. And Highness for that matter. Her funk over her soon-to-be-over jobless state got me thinking about jobs again and that has led me down the path to a new revolution that I suspected was around but didn't really know how to get in touch with. Well all I had to do was mention in the blog that I identified with joblessness and Grasshopper gives me a ton of stuff to help me down the path. What a lovely boy.

What revolution is this? The anti-pointless-job revolution. There are websites out there to help you and give you advice if you're trying to work less, or not work at all, and devote more time to the things you love. There's a pretty cool article by Bertrand Russell at http://www.zpub.com/notes/idle.html called In Praise of Idleness that makes some excellent points about how there is way too much work for some and too little work for others. How if we all worked 4 hours a day, we would be able to produce all we need and everyone would have jobs but would also have leisure time to relax, but wouldn't be so tired from work that they would need to spend their leisure time doing vapid, mindless shit. He also argues that with more idle time we'd be more educated and happier and generally things would be better. I happen to agree with the man.

If you're interested in the revolution you can go see http://www.whywork.org which is cool, mostly about learning to live with less so you don't need to make as much money and giving inspiration to those who are trying to do more of what they love and less of the whole 9-5 in a soulless job thing. It also has some suggestions about jobs that offer you more control over your time, acknowledging that in this day and age it's pretty hard to just stop working altogether. 'Course, it mentions nothing about trying to raise a family on those kinds of salaries, which is pretty dumb of them.

But one of the best (not as extremist as the above website) is a british internet magazine www.anxietyculture.com
It's a magazine with a sense of humour that basically tries to tell you that we're way too anxious about shit that doesn't really matter (working in pointless jobs, crime, diseases etc). Though in one article on Stupid Pointless Jobs it does ask "has anyone's quality of life been improved by telemarketing?" and I have to say yes. My telemarketing job got me a good bit of cash, a 19 year old sex god, and to top it all off the guts to end a terrible relationship. All I have today I owe to telemarketing. But that's just been my experience. I'd still recommend this website to all, expecially North Americans getting pumped full of paranoia every day by the media.

Once everyone has had a chance to look at these webpages (I would advise everyone read the Bertrand Russell thing) I'll go into my opinions on work a little more. But to start it off, I don't think anyone who has a passion should be forced to give up that passion in order to work 8 hours a day at a high labour job in order to pay the rent. Hell, if you don't have passion it might be because you haven't had the leisure time to think about what you love. Whatever, more on that later.

My ex-boyfriend's brother just came by for a chat. So now that whole ex-family will know I have a boyfriend (if they didn't already). I love the ex-family quite dearly so I hope they're okay with my hiding it from them for so long. But it's kind of hard talking to the woman whose son you dumped and telling her how happy you are with someone else. Yeesh.

What else do I have in the old noggin' today? I figured out why I have so much trouble thinking deep thoughts when I have a job. It's because I need to have time to register what's going on in my life. I need to be able to step back for a few hours and think about what happened to me that day and how it impacts me. I like looking back at a day and trying to absorb the beauty and the lessons the world has given me that day. Sadly, I just haven't had the time to do that and it's making me quite the crabby bitch. It's crazy, I realize everyone gets by with 9-5 jobs and seems to be fine. But I really miss that time spent looking around. The same thing happened when I was working crazy hours in Prague and eventually I wasn't registering any beauty at all (even though there was plenty of it to be had. Always is) and I think that's part of why my heart gave out - it knew I needed to take the time to look around again. You should have seen me before the heart thing, I was such a bitch poor Adam had to deal with my biting and snapping like a not so cute turtle at everything he said. And once I got over the initial fear, I just started seeing how much I had been missing. My body helped my spirit out. It's not that working hard is bad, but it has to be doing something I love because then I can see loveliness everywhere I look as I'm filling my life with things that are pretty to me. Anyway, perhaps this is why I become such a crank when I have to work full time, but I'll try to get over it because it's really totally wimpy of me right now when I have a nice job for 2 weeks and then I head to pursue my passion. So say it with me everyone "SUCK IT UP TANIA!"

Other than that? Adam made me a super fabulous dinner and we went to the pool earlier today and looked at high school girls. Too bad you just can't get them to shut up (unless you try Adam's suggestion to just fill their mouthes with cock, but even then I think a couple of them would keep on gabbering).

On that note, have a nice weekend and hope you both give and receive fantastic oral sex.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home