7.28.2003

The Little Prince explaining to the many rose bushes that his rose was unique in the universe, proving to the fox that he had learned the lesson that only with the heart can one see rightly, and that what is essential is invisible to the eye -

"You are not at all like my rose. As yet you are nothing. No one has tamed you, and you have tamed no one. You are like my fox when I first knew him. He was only a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But I have made him my friend and now he is unique in all the world." The roses were very much embarrassed. "You are beautiful, but you are empty. One could not die for you. To be sure, an ordinary passerby would think that my rose looked just like you - the rose that belongs to me. But in herself alone she is more important than all the hundreds of you other roses: because it is she that I have watered; because it is she that I have put under the glass globe; because it is she that I have sheltered behind the screen; because it is for her that I have killed the caterpillars (except the two or three that we saved to become butterflies); because it is she that I have listened to, when she grumbled, or boasted, or even sometimes when she said nothing. Because she is my rose."

A certain someone sent this to me a long time ago to make me feel special, proving as usual that he is perfect for me. I feel like celebrating his wonderfulness today, so I thought I'd share it with you all.

It's a great passage for explaining the reason why I decided I'd dedicate my life to children's lit. Some of the literature has such simple and pure themes and we imagine children reading them and subconsciously taking in the beauty of the world. I just want to continue taking in that beauty and reveling in it.

This morning I woke up in a foul mood. Slowly throughout the day I've been trying to find the beauty and thankfully it wasn't playing hide and seek with me today (though I do like to play with it). I feel justified in the way I choose to live my life and feel loved and taken care of. I'm choosing to see my curses as blessings.

I headed out to Zellers in the ass-end of Edmonton today to buy some shitty, cheap shelving. It's shitty and cheap but it's up. Goddamn, I usually like building stuff, but when the holes are all drilled unevenly by some mongoloid twit (not me, the factory worker) and you've got to really give 'er to penetrate the wood - jesus christ I know how guys feel breaking in a virgin now. I feel for you boys, you put in all that hard work and it still doesn't turn out all that well in the end. I also bought some new sheets for my bed, adopting Philandrea's idea that a bed is a nest that you have to build and make comfy. It looks very inviting now after all that screwing (god I wish I was talking about sex)

Actually, funny story. Yesterday morning I headed out on the bus to Bonnie Doon mall to try and find a converter at Radio Shack. I was waiting at the bus stop nearest my flat and this guy comes up to wait there as well. The bus shelter has been kicked in (by some rambunctious senior citizen no doubt, when will they stop with their shenanigans?) and some of the screws were loose. He starts working at one of the screws, trying to get it out. I look over and he smiles at me and just keeps at it. Finally, after about 2 minutes of twisting he comes up to me with the screw in his hand and says "Wanna screw?"

He was not an attractive boy, but dammit I thought that was pretty funny. We chatted for the duration of the wait and he turned out to be a bit of a bible thumper (leave it to me to attract a horny church goer). I left on the bus, and I gotta say it was the best pick up I've ever had. Not that it worked, but hey he was ugly and preachy - what do you expect from me? If the guy hadn't been ugly and preachy then my whole "not open for business" sign may well have been taken down.

While I was out in the block shopping area of Edmonton, I started thinking about something. Kanga hates malls, hates them. But she loves Ikea. I haven't been to a mall with friends for a long time, but weekend Ikea trips are becoming quite popular. What's the difference? Both areas are promoting materialism and a lifestyle based on the aquisition of "stuff" Is there a difference between malls and Ikea? If so, someone please explain this to me. And please note that I have no objection to either place.

Okay, I have to get some sleep. I get to register for my courses tomorrow. Very excited. Plus I'm putting in my application to teach the first year French course at the Uni. Keep your fingers crossed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home