7.23.2003

"Pullman summed up the power of story in his Carnegie Medal acceptance speech
when he said: "All stories teach, whether the storyteller intends them to or
not. They teach the world we create. They teach the morality we live by. They
teach it much more effectively than moral precepts and instructions...We don't
need lists of rights and wrongs, tables of do's and don'ts: we need books, time,
and silence. Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts
forever." (Pullman, 1996)"

Thank you Miss K.Lo for brightening up my morning with this lovely quote from Bill Pullman.

Today's blog is going to be a hodge podge of stuff. I'm a little distracted, and maybe this will centre me.

Okay, small additions to yesterday's peice. I've had a few emails which reminded me that I didn't deal with well, you know... the hair back there. I'm actually very surprised that moi, obssessed-with-body-hair-girl, would forget about this. If you are insecure about the hair around your bum hole the solution is: Shave it yourself, or better yet shave eachother.
Everyone, and I mean everyone, has got hair back there so there's no need to feel insecure about it. But it does look a lot prettier hairless. I had mine waxed once, and it didn't hurt at all but you gotta be careful cuz getting hot wax actually in the hole is bad. Very, very bad. Shaving is fine, and men generally get really turned on shaving your sex holes (me, I mostly get scared when I have to shave guys anywhere, but it's an individual thing). Use aloe vera or, and I highly recommend this, tea tree oil to cut down on shaving rashes and ingrown hairs in the nether regions. Just dab a little on after shaving. And if you're not a girl who enjoys shaving "it" , then I suggest that you apply the my favourite tit for tat rule here too.

The reason I've been highly distracted lately is that the freight I shipped from Prague has not yet managed to make it's way into my possession. The whole situation is just so completely Tania-esque. Luckily, Kanga has been keeping me laughing and positive about it, otherwise there would definetely be some dead bodies lying around - well, not whole bodies actually as all that would be left is blood and teeth. I'm thorough when I'm mad. The ordeal and mess of instructions one has to go through to get what is rightfully one's own - go right, then left, then find the chicken, wait for it to lay an egg, grab the egg and take it too the man in the pink shirt in the building by the sea, he'll tell the secret that only he knows, then...

Lesson to be learned: If you need stuff shipped, either ship it by air or just pay for the extra baggage on your flight home - it may not seem like it, but it will save you money and hassle in the end. Yeesh.

I was thinking about my time spent in Kelowna the other day, and I realized that singledom is getting harder with age. Adam and I spend a lot of time apart, which is good, but it's getting harder and harder to find people that want to go out as a single girl. More couples are popping up everywhere, and they are perfectly content to sit at home after work with their loved one, and they go out together. I mean, what's a single person to do on a Saturday afternoon? Go shopping with their coupled friends? Of course, you find other singles to hang with, but what about all your friends (and that number is steadily growing) who are in couples, are they lost to you? I'm not saying that couples should spend more time apart, nor am I saying that the difficulties of singledom are an excuse for all the middle-aged neurotics trying to get married, but really, why in this day and age, should being single after a certain age still be so hard? And, actually, why does being part of a couple make you want to cut yourself off and go out less? I'm not judging, I'm asking.

I guess it bugs me because after the Craig fiasco (bless him, but it really wasn't a good place for either of us) I'm trying really hard in this relationship to be independent and go out on my own a lot. I don't want to stagnate, and I don't want to get so comfortable in my life that I can't see that it's stagnating. It makes me sad, not because coupled people are bad, but because I realize something about my own life that upsets me. All the girls' nights out and party stuff, my other female friends had when they were younger and now they don't need to do it anymore. They got that independent stage over with. I on the other hand, was cooking dinners and never leaving the apartment at that age. So I'm trying to make up for lost time and it's not really working out for me. I'm going to end up being one of those cougars in the bar at 45 doing hooter shooters in a push up bra and leopard print pants.Sigh.

Okay, that's my thoughts for the day. I have part of an email from Fugger at the end of today's blog. If you're at all interested in the way politics work in our fair country, then have a look at it.


"Fair Vote Canada is one of my pet causes, and they've got an online petition that I encourage you all to put your name on. The purpose of the petition is to encourage the federal government to change the way we vote so that the number of seats a party gets is more proportional to the number of votes it receives. The way it generally works right now is that one party gets 40% of the votes, 70% of the seats, and 100% of the power.

This is an issue that has broad support from all kinds of political and nonpolitical people in different parties and organizations, but it is difficult to convince a government to change the system that got them elected in the first place. About every modern democracy in the world uses some sort of proportional system except the US, Britain, Australia (the warmonger countries -- coincidence?), France, and Canada. If you've got some time, read up a bit at http://www.fairvotecanada.org/, and then sign the petition at http://www.fairvotecanada.org/petition.php."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home