11.17.2004

I got to teach a my first university class today and you wouldn't believe how excited I was/am about it. It was so much fun and I got to lecture on some of my favourite topics and it totally reaffirmed why I'm doing this frikkin' MA in the first place. I want to teach so badly I can taste it, it's sad that so many who hate teaching and only like the research portion of university are out there teaching when I would so dearly love to take their places but cannot. However, once the PhD starts, then I'll get to teach classes - it makes me think I should start it sooner rather than later, but I do have to get these abominable student loans paid off first. I can't handle the thought of 30-50 grand student loans, so I have to pay my "small" one off first.

And the prof for the class who was monitoring me said I did a super-duper job and that I even handled the one tense moment in the class with the aplomb of a pro (some chick decided to bring up how dumb hyper christians are and you could see there were quite a few christians in the class so I had to diffuse the situation). I'm sorry folks, curbing my enthusiasm for this experience just ain't gonna happen. I was gonna try and write some "the girl walks into the class and, for the first time in a university setting, heads to the front to take the podium for the entire hour" story kind of crap but I'm just too excited. It's so ...life affirming to know that what you think you've wanted to do but what no one has let you do until now is really what you want to do. It's so funny as I know that I've taught many a class before, but this was the first one where I got to teach critical theory and literature and it just blew me away.
Okay, I'll stop now. Otherwise I'm just gonna go on for pages about how cool this was and hey, I think you all get the point by now.
Woo Hoo!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well done pretty lady! good to hear that you're gettin on with your dreams and doing something you clearly love! So refreshing.

And no surprise that you're so good at it. With your focus and dedication sweetie, you'd be good at whatever was blessed enough to have your attention on it.

Klara xxx

8:52 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this DOES sound exciting and so does your love for teaching. it's the ones who love it that excel in the classroom and you'll have students eating out of your hands. rock on.

8:11 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home