2.16.2004

As usual, life leads me down a path with a series of clues and indicators. I always notice, as have many people I'm sure, that I'll hear about some obscure fact/event and then suddenly everyone I meet is telling me more about that same thing. Recently it's been happening with info on schizophrenia (telling me to get more involved in my uncle's life methinks), and with queer theory and rights, and now with the death of Canadian Anna Mae Pictou-Aquash which occured almost 30 years ago.
I went to see a play at the Fringe this summer called The Making of Warriors by Sharon Pollock (one of my favourite playwrights) and it told the story of Anna Mae's death. Now her "murderer" is on trial and I'd like you all to please check out the information at Graham a site which has devoted itself to the "murderer's" defense. Checking out the Position Statement is your best bet for quick info. Two ladies just happened to come into Le Gare, all the way from Vancouver, to put up a poster about this very issue, and one of them was shocked that people were smoking indoors and we got to chatting about why they were putting up posters.
The story surrounding Anna Mae's death should really have people investigating the FBI for her murder, but instead they are investigating a fellow Native canadian who was fighting alongside her for Native rights. It's a long story and you can check it out at that website but I'll give you a few interesting tidbits. The same FBI agents who interrogated her for the murder of two other FBI agents were at the scene when her dead body was found and yet failed to recognize her so what did they do? They chopped off her hands and sent them to headquarters to have her identified. They then buried her in an unmarked grave after an FBI autopsy which said she died of exposure and somehow failed to note the rather large bullet hole in the back of her head.
The FBI has provided false evidence for the arrest of John Graham (this fact is supported by Amnesty International and they are opposed to allowing this trial to continue as is) and the facts surrounding his arrest etc are not so good.
Please check out the site and, if you feel so inclined, write a letter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home