3.23.2005

Went out for a little bite last night with a couple of people who wanted to argue about god/religion/spirituality and science. For the most part, it was a pretty boring conversation as one of the people was an extremist atheist (saying I'm right and you're wrong and I can't respect people who don't agree with me on everything is exactly what he was complaining about in religious people, and yet it was what he was doing the entire evening - not so much fun really)

But it made me realize that one of the most useful and profound things I've learned in academia is how to say "I don't know." Now more than ever I am aware of how much I don't know and how mysterious and totally unknowable this magical world is in the span of one human life. (Please let me say now that academia is not the only place to learn this, it's just where I learned it). It has changed my role and opinions in many argument/discussions quite greatly however it does makes me a tad more annoyed by people who only see in right and wrong, black and white.

But an interesting question was raised by the chick involved in the discussion. We were discussing evolution of the species, technology etc and she asked "how does love evolve?" Now on the surface this is perhaps a very Oprah-esque type question, but it has been spinning my brain for awhile. How do we become more empathic, create better community, better human rights etc? How do we evolve that side of ourselves?

Have we evolved in this way so far? Well, I see that we have made some progress in human rights and rape still happens but it's a crime rather than an accepted part of society. But toddlers are being raped on a regular basis in Africa and no one knows what to do or what started this alarming and increasingly popular trend. We've come so far when it comes to hate crimes against different races, and yet we're engaged in an us vs them christian vs muslim war right now.

But what is it that brought about the good changes we've made? Education is definetly part of it, despite the major problems within the system, I think the fact it has become the "norm" to go to school for the first few years of life has played a large role - even just relating to all those other people rather than your own immediate family exposes you to difference and gets you thinking in a more open-minded way from the get go. But what else?

When it comes to our knowledge of scientific and technological stuff, we have evolved I think is definetly helps us evolve our love, our empathy, and our interrelations with other human beings and the planet as a whole. But is this is it?

Is it merely improvements in education and science that will lead us to more evolutionary acts of human relations? I DON'T KNOW

But, if not, what else can we do? What is it that helps us do this? I feel like if we spent more time figuring out how to do this then we could be soaring above where we are now.

And yes, I'm fully accepting my inner Oprah right now.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hm, this is quite a treasure trove of Tania-isms. I must admit that your vernacular is, after all these years, still quite unique to you (though perhaps you might exert no small influence through said treasure trove?).

Even though it fills me with a certain melancholy wistfulness to read and remember, it does indeed appear that you are much better off without unconsciously-repressive little ol' me.

I have to wonder, will my post remain posted? I have no intention of attacking you or your ways. However, as this is my first look at your blog, my response is very general and not necessarily in keeping with your most recent post.

Stay in good health and in good faith of your own ways, but also try to remember that there are those of us, many of us, who enjoy the perversions of couplehood; we enjoy the arousal of loving someone, the trust of exploring the darker side of sexuality, and the comfort of the predictable unpredictability of it all.

1:21 p.m.  
Blogger tania said...

Of course your comment will stay posted. It's good to hear from you, hope all is well.

8:53 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home