9.05.2006

You Are 24 Years Old

20-29: You are a twentysomething at heart. You feel excited about what's to come... love, work, and new experiences.


Woo Hoo! I'm in the correct age grouping. Who knew?

The other day I was having tea with Comic Boy and he said something that kinda dropped my jaw:

"I don't think you're a flake."

Now Comic Boy comes from the hippiest of hippy parents and so he knows whereof he speaks, but I still think he's wrong. He explained that a flake is someone who crumbles under pressure, a person who, at the first sign of pressure will just disintigrate. This is a good description. Now he doesn't think this is me because I take on all this belly dance work and extra-curricular activities so obviously I can handle pressure. I've been thinking about this a lot recently and he's right that I can handle pressure, but only pressure that comes from me. As soon as the outside world puts pressure on me, as soon as I feel like the choice has been taken away and I have to do something, I run screaming for the hills. Belly dancing is by choice, no one is paying me to organize shit and if they were, I probably wouldn't like it as much because there would be outside pressure - someone is paying me, therefore I have a responsibility to do things.

I am the perfect volunteer, if some sugar daddy could just come along and fund my life, I would stay busy and active volunteering for a myriad of different things and rocking the world with my ability to handle pressure. But as soon as work is required of me, I'm outta there.

I am trying to fix this. I am honestly trying. I've figured that the only way is to just focus on why I want to do something and not think about outside pressures. Which I figure is a pretty decent way of managing things, because really if there is no reason why I want to do something, then why am I doing it? And this last statement isn't as selfish as it sounds, I often want to help people and do things for others, so this isn't about me doing things that are only self-serving. Plus focusing on why I am doing something keeps me more present, more aware of my feelings, intentions and motivations and those of the people around me. Which is good because I've been pretty stupidly distant from all that for awhile.

Anyhoo, I take it as a good sign that I'm the correct maturity range for my age :)
God I love quizzes.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guess I'm two years older than you are, even if I disliked most of the choices. Didn't like any of the TV shows etc..not 14 after all I guess.
And as regarding flakiness...always thought you were kind of the opposite.
-Paul

12:54 p.m.  
Blogger Pixie said...

Well, I'll just be over being thirty then... and people wonder I hate admiting how young I am.

4:23 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

its funny how you can seem so together and capable on the outside but feel like a flake on the inside. who is the real you? the inside one that you know or the person everyone sees?
yeah im still stuck in dubai bored numb. but at least i can access your blog!
ps you were the opposite of a flake when you had bridesmaid duties, even though there was outside pressure there.
love marie xxxx

10:48 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

um.... if "But as soon as work is required of me, I'm outta there" doesn't that mean if you had a sugger daddy, something fun would be turned into work?

3:06 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home