5.06.2005

I'm back up to 10 hours of belly dancing classes a week and I'm performing twice a month at different events around the city and I'm extremely pleased by these developements. I'm not sure if it's what I really, really want yet,(see Kanga's blog)but it's certainly something that makes me happy.

However, belly dancing fitness is not quite the same as cycling fitness. I now have a two classes back to back on Thursday nights which take place in two different studios. I bike from one place to the other and so does another funky belly girl. She wanted to go there together, which prompted me to try and explain to her why this might be a problem: there is a difference between biking and cycling. I bike and she cycles.

I bike everywhere in the city, not because I love the biking necessarily but because I'm too broke to afford a bus pass every month. I equate biking with walking. I go at a reasonably quick pace, down side streets, stopping now and then to smell a flower, laugh at a cute kitten, jump in a puddle or two.

I equate cycling with jogging. 'Nuff said.

So we set off and, of course, her regular pace is driving me into cardiac arrest. The bike ride is only about 15 minutes long, however by the time we got to the other studio I was wee bit winded. In other words, my face was purple, I was wheezing, and I had to spend a few minutes in the washroom splashing water on my face and wiping the huge amounts of sweat off my back and chest.

It will most definitely help when I get my bike tuned up as it won't shift gears at all right now - but I sense it's still going to be a long couple of months of Tania the Purple Faced Girl. What was that my father always used to say? Right, it builds character.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home