10.24.2006

I need to post about this book I read, but mayhaps this will not be the most in depth post as I had way too much fun last night and need to go get some grease in my belly to settle the alcholic badness. However, the badness is worth it as I had a fabulous night with the two ladies I admire most, but I haven't drank or shmoked that much in a while and I usually don't mix the two, but it was working last night. It was originally intended to just be a night to see Diane's house as she has a bedroom I may be renting soon, but it slowly turned into a let's get ridiculous and dance to great music and play with dogs and chat about life in a cozy basement kind of night.

I have showered and will be fine by tonight Kanga :)

Oh and yes, I will be moving as, now that I have gotten my apartment just the way I want it, my landlords have oh so pleasantly decided to up the rent by $100 A MONTH!. Gotta love that Alberta doesn't have rent hike regulations.

Okay, so the book. Awhile back, I posted here complaining about the superficiality of today's general fiction for women (there are no actual women in them, just shoppers and manhunters). I've been looking for ages for a recent non-genred fictional work that is the story of a woman's life that actually relates to me, chicklit that is about a real chick, and I finally found one. The Wonder Spot by Melissa Banks explores about 20 years of the life of a real woman, her relationships, her family, her search to find a place in the world. It's funny, it's well crafted, it's human, I almost cried tears of joy just to have found this rare literary creature out there.

She's snarky and smart, but directionless. The other characters around her are also well developed and her relationships with people are very honestly portrayed. She is close to her family and her brothers especially. The following is from a scene where her brother Jack starts dating a girl who is treating him like crap.

When his pancakes comes, he pushes the plate aside. He sighs, and sighs again. His voice is so quiet, it's as though he's talking to himself when says, "I can't hit her."

"Sorry?"

"I can't hit her," he says, and I realize how tired and desperate he must be to say these words to me.

"And you want to hit her?"

He shrugs. "She wants me to."

"In bed," I say.

"Of course in bed," he says. "Where else?"

"Oh, I'm sorry," I say. "Of course, she wants you to hit her in bed. And you can't. Go on.

"She thinks it means I don't love her."

I say, "Can I hit her?"

"Sophie." His voice is a reprimand. "Her father used to beat her."

I think, She probably deserved it, but then I turn back into a human being.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

we are coming to visit you in june! we went and got prices and such and are going to book the tkts next month. is there a lot to do in alberta? we arent sure whether to stay one week or two. we are going to america first, then you, then costa rica. we are actually hoping you might come with us to costa rica. exciting!
marie xxxx

7:22 a.m.  
Blogger tania said...

Oh my god you so made my morning Marie! Oh that is just too exciting. If I were you, I'd stay for two weeks, we'll do a few days in Edmonton, then hit the Rockies and then drive on down to BC to see my parents in the beautiful beach-laden Okanagan area - I'll try not to pack too much in, but it's a big country.
I think hitting Costa Rica with you guys after is a definite possibility. We shall see.

WOOOHOOO! The cherubs are coming to Canada!

9:18 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home