1.21.2006

Thanks to everyone for the words of support. And can everyone please comment on whether or not they think the juicy fruit comment is just a clever ad for juicy fruit or an actual blog?

Purging - it's a wonderful thing when not done with regards to food. It's painful and awkward and sometimes very funny, but almost always beneficial. My dad is going through it right now, having been forced to quit smoking after his quintuple bipass in late november and having to try and not light up after the death of his mother. It's interesting as I think smoking was one of his ways of avoiding having to deal with stuff (eg: during arguments dad would leave the house, saying he needed to "go for a smoke") and now there's no avoiding stuff. He's having to actually deal with everything as it's happening. All the bile in his arteries has been purged and he's having to deal with the purging of his emotional stuff now.

Purging of anger over a situation seems to be what Office Haiku is about. It's an advanced reader copy I got that should come out sometime this spring. James Rogauskas has written a very humourous book of haiku poetry ranting about office jobs (though many could apply to jobs in general) and goddamn was I urinating last night whilst reading it. Haiku is a very good tool for expressing yourself honestly about day to day life, I would also highly recommend you take a look at Gay Haiku by Joel Derfner (because, you know, me and the whole ass fucking permeates my life thing) which has such gems as

I don't understand.
You love it when I do that--
Wait, no. That's Stephen.


and

Remember when I
Said I disliked oral sex?
I meant just with you.


Now I'm not supposed to directly quote from advanced reader copies as they are not "done" yet, but here I go with the illegal activities. Livin' on the edge, these are some of the poems in Office Haiku.

In my cubicle
I sit; envying the dead
Two hours left to go.


in the coffee section...

Jitters, coffee breath,
And frequent urination.
What more could I want?


office politics...

At least in prison
You get to shank people who
Really annoy you.


afternoon boredom...

I sit wondering;
Can someone die of boredom?
Only time will tell.


Pried my thumbnail off
With the stable remover
Just to stay awake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home